Friday, March 7, 2014

Amelie

Amelie

Participants: Blair, Chris, Kara, Sara, Andrew and Shane

So, first let me explain my rating scale (at least how I'm using it now, as I'm sure it will evolve as this blog continues).  I think if I'm going to give something an A range rating, I'll have thought about the movie, specific scenes, characters, etc days after watching.  It will make me think, question, critique, etc.  A C rating is just that - it's average, I would watch it again, but it's maybe not thought provoking.  An F would have to be a long the lines of "Bachelorette" something Netflix just "suggested" to me (I think I Fail Netflix).  It was horrible and nothing redeeming in it and if I watched it again, it would be punishing myself.

On with the review:  I haven't thought much about Amelia since the movie viewing, other than, "oh, I need to write my review," and then I've spent a few minutes thinking about how weird - in a good way - the characters were.  After finishing a film, I will often think, "damn, that was good/interesting/etc, I need to watch that again!" I did not think that with this movie...

So, it sounds like I'm about to give Amelia a bad review, but that's not the case.  I must say first that I actually should watch this movie again - I'm a terribly slow reader and it took me more than a minute to get used to reading the English subtitles.  Somehow I did not realize this movie was in French (idiot!); because of this and my inability to read quickly, this film was at a disadvantage.  I should also note that I was thoroughly thrown off by the opening credits/ intro story with the pregnant belly growing and the cheesy baby...yuck.  I HAVE thought about that.

What I loved - the dry sense of humor was awesome and thoroughly enjoyable throughout.  I liked the weird characters, no one was "normal," they all had weird quirks, which I liked.  I loved all the little stories of her helping people and the give/take relationship she had with the old dude and her eventually helping herself.  What I thought was missing - some meat to these characters.  I don't know why they do what they do, or how they've arrived in the places they are in.  I see how they fit together now, and maybe that's the point.  I'm sure the movie is purposely vague and I'm the dummy who is not getting the real story here, but help me out!  I want more depth.

With these thoughts, I rate Amelia a C+/B-, I would watch it again and enjoy it, but it's not something I would think to bring up over dinner to discuss.   It is however, a good movie to have in the books, I feel like classy people must have watched this film and liked it.

5 comments:

  1. Chris here, friends.

    Any work of art takes on its meaning in the eyes of the audience, who may find things never intended by its creator. With that in mind, I’d like to discuss the central conflict of the film Amelie.

    (Background: Sara bought the sweetest L-shaped couch recently. It’s perfect for watching movies—really enough room to stretch out and get comfy with your homies.)

    The central conflict of my experience of the film Amelie was whether I could resist the temptation of a mid-movie nap.

    In many ways, my struggle followed the classic hero’s journey arc as made famous by Joseph Campbell. I began my journey as the classic reluctant hero. After all, I had not chosen my journey; my path was chosen by one farm more noble than me.

    There were many true obstacles to overcome. Subtitles, a precious French heroine, a stomach full of popcorn, Sara’s 98.6 degrees. After the first hour, I was convinced I’d surely fail, and did in fact stop. A night passed—a dark night of the soul, if you will. A day followed. An episode of Portlandia came and went. But this journey was completed, with your hero older and surely wiser.

    Amelie is a C+ movie for me. It’s been on the “ought to watch one day” list for some time, so I have pride in doing something long-deferred. I watched a foreign film again, affirming my sophistication. Amelie overcame her introversion and found love, which is good for her, too.

    Finally, I was somewhat disappointed by the absence of mimes. Missed opportunity, France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, full disclaimer – this is one of my favorite movies. Sometimes when we fall in love with a movie and then are asked to take a critical look at it, I think we subconsciously rebel and instead amplify all that we loved about it to begin with. That said, here are a few of the things that I think make Amelie fun to watch:

    - The look – doesn’t the whole movie make you feel like you’re in Amelie’s personal imagination? It feels romantic and whimsical and creative.
    - The details: the homeless guy in the first few minutes of the movie who “doesn’t work on Sundays”, the pictures of the dog with a cone that hangs over her bed, the pig lamp, the Parisian version of Doc Martens she dons each day.
    - It is comical and absurd and charming. The content is light and positive – a nice change from most movies.
    - I also like to imagine that every time someone watches this, they are inspired to pursue random acts of kindness, thereby making little creative movies of their own.

    In conclusion, I think it only fair to mention that I am also a big fan of Michael Jackson. Obviously, Amelie’s look was inspired by the later-year looks of MJ who went on to inspire other great actors such as Johnny Depp. (Insert here, image progression of the likeness of those three: MJ, Amelie, JD as Willy Wonka. This image will be shared with you on Facebook for your consideration).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Film: Amelie
    Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

    The movie Amelie was a delightful film. First of all, I’m a sucker for French films. It probably could be a bomb and I’d say something positive about it in the end. I usually fall in love with everything from cobblestone roads to the bicycles with baskets. This film did not disappoint.
    I loved the quirkiness of the characters and their not-typical blockbuster looks. I loved her apartment and the kookiness of the things in it and the use of reds and pinks. I mean, who decorates like that and knows that in the end it’s going to work? The French! That’s who.
    OMG so I just had to google the work “kooky” because-- for the life of me I couldn’t spell it-- and look what came up as a sidebar:

    Kookai
    Kookai is a French fashion label founded in 1983 by Jean-Lou Tepper, Jacques Nataf and Philippe de Hesdin. It has a simple philosophy: "to supply young women with affordable apparel for their wardrobes". Wikipedia

    Never seen the clothes but I know that I LOVE them. Anyway… I get so easily sidetracked. I loved the film.
    At first I thought Amelie was a bit narcissistic, and then as time went on, I thought she is, but she’s adorable so I forgive her! All around great film for me. I give it a B. If it was at a friend’s house and I walked in, I would sit on the couch and watch it again.
    Guys, I’m sick again this week and working a new part-time job so that’s why this is late and totally slack. Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVED this movie. I never would have watched it without this review group, so I am thankful for it.

    First of all, watching this movie alone was a visual joy. I'm pretty much a sucker for movies that play with bright and contrasting colors. It's funny, I don't care a damn thing about fashion, which is why I let Blair, her mom and my mom buy all my clothes, but because of the colors, I actually paid attention. That is a feat.

    I know Blair didn't feel like she got to know the side characters that well. Part of it may have been due to the subtitles and not being able to read each character's introductions. I felt the opposite. Those quirky introductions were great for getting to know everyone. They weren't playing games with them. They played right off of a few stereotypes for people who like those sorts of things. I thought it was an incredibly effective tool that was funny and informative and went along with the quirkiness of the movie.

    Amelie as a lead character was incredibly likable. I can see the narcissistic claim, but I'll politely disagree. We have a character who has been sheltered needlessly her entire life. We see her grow throughout the movie. Being narcissistic isn't thinking "I can make a difference here," rather it's "I'm the only one who has the answers and what's wrong with everyone else" type attitude. I think we watched Amelie grow in self-awareness. First she grows by understanding that she can affect other people, both positively and negatively. That the creeper dude and the cig chick fell out of passion so quickly was a nice touch to show that not all good deeds lead to good results. However, the fact that she did make that difference in someone else's life was the important part. I can't help but think of Buddhism throughout this process. Discover the world around you. Help the people you know. Help your community. Discover yourself. In this case, there was no wise Buddha to lead the way, just a fellow recluse guiding her along her path of her own self-awareness and bliss.

    Speaking of the recluse, it's not really resolved if he is legitimately bound to his flat. It's very possible that he was like Amelie and needlessly kept away from people, through his own volition or through the advice of others. That point really doesn't matter as he has accepted his fate. But there is love in heart as he can't bear to watch Amelie live like he did. It's great to see a leader type character with his own flaws.

    What drops this down is the love story. It's silly, of course, but it's really not remotely the best story-line in the movie. I enjoyed the pursuit of the mysterious ghost in the machine, the produce boy's rise in confidence and I really wanted to see more of her's father's gnome pursuit.That the main story falls a little flat is enough to keep this movie out of the straight A range. Though I do love that they made him a sex store worker for no reason at all. That choice was as random as this movie.

    In the end, I'm rating Amelie as an A-. This is high praise for me in the rom-com category.

    Anyone else have any further thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete